What is VPS Hosting? & How it Works?
It is a hosting type where the server is divided into separate segments, and each portion with its resources is allocated to different users. Thus within the single server, multiple users can have access. But with their dedicated resources (including space, memory, and processing power).
How VPS works?
VPS works differently from the shared hosting servers. In VPS hosting, the virtualized operating system is the major component using which a single server can run multiple operating systems where each of these systems behaves like it is a dedicated server.
Hypervisor and virtual machines are the main components required for operations. The hypervisor is the software, hardware, or other firmware that controls the virtual machine (VM). The hypervisor runs on a system referred to as a host machine. The computer on which the VM runs is known as the guest machine.
The Hypervisor's function is to run virtual operating systems on the guest machine while allocating the optimal resources to get the work done. In this case, the hypervisor takes resources from the real server and transmits them to VM.
The physical server in the VPS hosting is part of the data center where each data center is divided into containers. These containers are rented out to different users and have a separate operating system installed as well, providing each segment with the necessary independence.
Benefits of VPS hosting:
- You don’t have to pay high for the VPS hosting services
- You can install any software on VPS hosting and can work with great ease and independence.
- Dedicated CPU time and memory are available to each compartment. So, you don’t have to worry about the resources being used by the other compartments. You’ll get the resources you are paying for.
- Customization of VPS hosting is possible according to your requirements
- You can oversee the hosting environment and handle all the installations of your hosting without disrupting the others.
- VPS hosting packages are scalable. You can always get more resources if the existing ones are not sufficient for your needs.
Types of VPS:
Following are the main types of VPS hosting:
- Unmanaged – you need to handle all the technicalities on your own
- Managed - the technical part of handling the server is managed by the hosting provider
We have touched on the topic of VPS hosting very briefly here in this article. This is all the information you need to get started with VPS hosting. But if you want to get into more technical details, you can read other resources available online.